Sola Scriptura…THATS UNBIBLICAL!
Brothers and Sisters I wanted to talk today about Sola Scriptura. The term is Latin for Scripture Alone. Many of my Protestant Brothers and Sisters site this as all we need for guidance in our faith. I always hear “The Bible is the only thing I read and need.” As a Theologian in training I can’t help but smile. One blogger put it this way:
“Scripture is the only infallible rule for faith and practice”
Now when these words are spoke I know this is an opportunity to discuss the Catholic faith. Let me speak a little on why this topic came up. I found a Christian Rapper online and was listening to his music. I was enjoying some of the songs when a track about Sola Scriptura came on and I began to cringe. Usually I let these things just pass by because it isn’t the time or place. What got me this time was at the end of the song he “calls out” Roman Catholics. I was very very hurt that a CHRISTIAN Brother would call us out like that. I began to wonder about the double standard in place. All the same I wanted to write down the argurments I have used in the past. Without further wait:
Sola Scriptura changes like a high school girls wardrobe
- The Catholic Church established the New Testament canon and books. The Catholic Church is based on tradition. The Protestant denominations sight the New Testament as proof of SS. Therefore the Protestants of today have already based their church in tradition.
- Given time, every Church forms a tradition. Why do you have a have a Sater Meal?
- Hard to argue against the Catholic Church that formed the Bible who you claim as the sole source
Sola Scriptura is like car with square wheels, just doesn’t work
- There are over 20,000 Protestant denominations despite what Ephisians 4:5 says – one Lord, one faith, one baptism.
- If Sola Scriptura assumes that only the Bible is correct, why are there 20,000 denominations? Are there 20,000 different Bibles?
- Peter and Paul had this battle 2000 or so years ago. Look at what St. Peter says to the early Church in 2 Peter 3:15-16 –And consider the patience of our Lord as salvation, as our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, also wrote to you, speaking of these things as he does in all his letters. In them there are some things hard to understand that the ignorant and unstable distort to their own destruction, just as they do the other scriptures.
Sola Scriptura is not out of any history book I know
- All the Orthodox Churches of today (IE Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox) who can both trace their origin to the original apostoles deny Sola Scriptura.
- Somehow the early church for 400 years worked without the New Testament cannon. What were they using?
- The Creed which so many Protestants use known as the Nicene or the Apostles Creed States – “We believe in one holy catholic apostolic Church” not “We Believe in the Bible Alone”
Sola Scriptura is not Biblical
- 2 Timothy 1:13,14 – Take as your norm the sound words that you heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. Guard this rich trust with the help of the holy Spirit that dwells within us.
- 2 Timothy 2:2 – And what you heard from me through many witnesses entrust to faithful people who will have the ability to teach others as well.
- 1 Corinthians 11:2 – I praise you because you remember me in everything and hold fast to the traditions, just as I handed them on to you.
- 2 Thessalonians 2:15 – Therefore, brothers, stand firm and hold fast to the traditions that you were taught, either by an oral statement or by a letter of ours.
- Many many more but I need to get to my next point, all we needed was those few for this point
Sola Scriptura is 2 + 2 = 5
- The scripture doesn’t teach to just use the scripture. SO….how does that all work?
- If the New Testament canon wasn’t created when the scripture was in place, how can the scripture tell us to use something that is unknown?
- You can’t tell me as a Catholic that my Church is infallible if your Scripture to what you base that in was decided by that same very Church.
- Sola Scriptura is unable to deal with a simple fact of history, the printing press wasn’t created until 1450. Most people couldn’t read well into the 1900’s.